This discussion is meandering over interesting ground ...

Just to add a couple of things.

Alison wrote:

> But it seems to me (and perhaps someone
better informed can clarify this) that notions of borders and ownership
are quite different in Aboriginal culture and perhaps part of the problem
in recent times has been squaring a traditional Aboriginal notion of
habitation with Western ideas of freehold.

Tim Flannery's compilation of original sources "The Birth of Sydney" records
the strong territoriality of the indigenous people of the Sydney region at
the time of white settlement. Clearly, Aboriginal ideas of land and
habitation had strongly defined boundaries, within the concept of group
territory rather than individual ownership. His documents also record
evidence of early Aboriginal wars - between Aboriginal tribes as well as
attacks on white settlement.

> And of course it is not simply economic deprivation, but cultural poverty,
which
is causing this: and there are many Aboriginal people, also, to whom none
of this applies.  And how none of these things are seriously addressed in
government policy at all.

On the contrary, I think that government policy has been very supportive of
what I see as the huge reclaiming of aboriginal culture represented by the
current vibrancy of visual arts and crafts. Like you, Alison, I grew up at a
time when white society in Australia believed that Aboriginal culture had
absolutely nothing to offer. My children are growing up in a different
universe. This difference has been strongly supported by government policy
and finance. For example, the number of exhibition spaces for indigenous
work in Australia, supported by public funds, is more than 100, ranging from
the high profile galleries like Art Gallery NSW, SA Museum, Australian
Museum, Museum of Melbourne and soon to be opened Gallery of Aboriginal
Australia in the National Museum in Canberra, through to the numerous
keeping places of local communities.

In fact, I would go so far as to say that it is in the cultural area where
government support HAS been effective, compared with the areas of health and
employment. Perhaps the policies haven't been trumpeted with the
announcement of large goals, but they have been quietly effective at putting
resources where they are needed.

The effect of this artistic cultural renaissance has been huge and profound.
I read recently that 10% of indigenous people identify themselves as artists
or as engaged in creative endeavours.

While the government support may not be enough, still, I have a strong sense
of a turn in the tide of affairs. And I sense that there well may be a
rightness in the order of things. Perhaps it is necessary to heal the soul
first, through art, literature and culture. Perhaps the body [physical
health and social structures, etc] can't be healed while the soul is sick.
Victor Frankl concluded something like this in his experiences in Nazi slave
labour camps. As long as the person had a reason to live, their body could
survive almost anything. And he observed that the meanings that were
sufficient were entirely personal to the individual.

As well as government policy, I believe that many, many non-Aboriginal
Australians have a deep wish for Aborigines to thrive. It is this deep wish
that fuels the community's delight in Cathy Freeman's achievements.

>What I can't stand is living in a society with such bad conscience.
Quite often I think our public discourse is the worst in the "free"
world.

I know that sense of heavy conscience. But I have the sense that some things
travel more effectively beneath the surface of public discourse. Not all
plants flourish in the bright sunlight. And it is not the case that _only_
evil occurs in the shadows.

>BTW, it ocurred to me yesterday that I didn't actually know what
Australia Day (happy Australia Day, everyone) commemorates.  Is it the
landing of Governor Arthur Philip in Botany Bay?  Is it the anniversary
of Federation?  Is it something else?  I asked a few people, and none of
them knew either.

Gov Phillip arrived in Botany Bay on 18 Jan. The fleet entered Sydney Cove
with Phillip going ashore on January 26th. This day was first celebrated as
a public holiday in 1838, 50 years after first settlement.

So, Happy Settlement Day.

Gillian