I thought the human muse figure came in with Orpheus & Eurydice.
but I guess that's still on the level of myth.

seems like a metaphor for something basic:

presence / absence (loss) / contemplation (haunting)

ie., how does language express or articulate some thing in consciousness?
By contemplating it into words.  How is contemplation - or should I say
measurement - possible, without distance?  Hence this three-step
"story".

"Unless I go away, the Advocate cannot come; but when I go away, I
will send him (the Holy Ghost) to you."  (paraphrasing Gospel of John)

Henry