Marty's First Mouse

I was sitting at my computer at midnight
When Marty came through the catflap behind me
And I heard a great commotion.
He was tossing a dead mouse in the air.
His very first mouse.
Oh what a clever cat.
I thought Fritz had cleared out all the fieldmice
From back of my house
Fifteen years ago.
They must be back.
This one had been a healthy young beast.
I am much happier for Marty to catch mice
Rather than birds
Or the enormous wriggling worms he likes to play with.
What a clever little cat.

My Plastic Nose

I came back from Frenchay Hospital
With my plastic nose,
Having been away for a week,
And sat in my armchair in the evening
Waiting for Marty to come home to taste his food
(My neighbour Errol had been feeding him).
He returned at tenfifteen and got the shock of his life
When coming through the catflap he saw me.
He purred for an hour and a half non-stop
And was all over me, so pleased.
At two in the morning he came up
And lay on my bed
Purring till I got up the next morning.

The next night at midnight
There was this tremendous squeaking on the stairs.
Marty had caught me a blackbird as a present
And brought it to my bed.
I had to get up to put it in a plastic bag
And dump it in the bin.

I think Marty is pleased that I am home
Even though I now have a plastic nose.

Douglas Clark, Bath, England           mailto: [log in to unmask]
Lynx: Poetry from Bath  ..........  http://www.bath.ac.uk/~exxdgdc/lynx.html