Joe said, feigning bemusement, I think (I paraphrase from memory):

"Odd how something that doesn't exist like the "self" keeps popping up on
this list so often."

Well, you know, in Buddhism, that's why buddhas pledge to return again and
again, until all sentient beings are liberated!

I was reading 13th century poet and Zen master Eihei Dogen's "Body-and- Mind
Study of the Way" last night. It seems apropos, somehow (this is only a
hunch) Domfox's short, rich post on the self and Erminia's, too, about her
Author-Father, and to the disussion about poetic personae. It's so
wonderful, I am going to type it out:

13.

Zen Master Yuanwu said, "Birth is undivided activity. Death is undivided
activity. Filling up the great empty sky. straightforward mind is always
bits and pieces."

You should quietly pursue and examine these words. Although Zen Master
Yuanwu once said this, he did not understand that birth-and-death further
overflows undivided activity.

When you study coming and going, in coming there is birth-and-death, in
going there is birth-and-death. In birth there is coming and going, in death
there is coming and going.Coming and going is to fly in and fly out with the
entire world of the ten directions as two or three wings, and to walk
forward and backward with the entire world of the ten directions as three or
five feet.

With birth and death as its head and tail, the entire world of the ten
directions, the true human body, freely turns the body and flaps the brain.
When trunign the body and flapping the brain, it is the size of a penny, it
is inside a particle of dust. It is the vast flat earth, it is a sheer
eight-thousand foot cliff. Wehre there is a sheer eight-thousand foot cliff,
there is the vast falt earth. In this way, the true human body is manifested
as the Southern and Norhtern continents. To examine this is the study of the
way.

The true human body is the bones and marrow of  the realm beyond
consciousness and unconsciousness. Just raising this up is the study of the
way.

On the ninth day, ninth month, third year of Ninji [1242], this was taught
to the assembly at Horin Monastery.