Candice wrote:

>But mainstream culture is always wanker culture, isn't it?

Mainstream is so fiercely contested a word - either for or against - and
except in very specific examples (now to be picky after being way too
generalised) I'm not really sure what it means.  Usually it's shorthand
for "them" and "us", "us" being the ill-used ones - I'm as guilty as
anyone of this.

Maybe what I react badly to is what Brecht used to call "bourgeois
culture", ie art which just seeks to pacify its audience with comfortable
recognitions.  But that can happen just as easily in the margins.

Best

Alison