>From: Robin Hamilton <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: On Gioia ...
>Date: Sun, 15 Jul 2001 18:18:43 +0100
>
>abcb has to be a cop-out.  This is much the easiest of the quatrain forms.

I don't think it would be a cop-out if it were used at all well.  My problem
is that it's too sing-song, too padded with unnecessary words, and the
metaphors aren't carried through very well.  For example, surely he could
have found more music-appropriate words than slanted-detail-inserted.  But
detail is obviously there just to rhyme with scale.

Btw, "Auden-and-water" is too too funny, but I thought that was James
Fenton? : )