Joseph skeptically wondered (and that was a great post, Joe, I agree with
everything, you say, believe it or not!) if Lind would prove to have a
genuine interest in the "intellectual history of Western prosody."

Well, let's see, no? On the far chance that he chooses to engage in exchange
with us pathetic academic "free-versers" (he is, after all, a "regular" on
the Lehrer Newshour, Nightline, Fox, CNN, etc, not to mention on editorial
board of three of the principal U.S. magazines, writing books about Vietnam
as a good and "necessary war" (a book in which he makes the following
statement: "There really were no young U.S. radicals during Vietnam outside
of a few Jews,") and so on, the key will be to expand the impact of the
conversation by bringing in some prominent poetry folks from beyond the list
(from opposing sides)-- whether that can be done, I don't know, but if it
can, then I think this could become a very interesting and fierce sort of
Battle of Prosodiagrad. Lind is hardly the issue; it's the tendency of
thought he represents that is worth confronting.

Kent