[via Eliot Weinberger's _Written Reaction_]:

-----

*Persuasive New Defense of Traditional Prosody*

"Prosody remains embedded in the finished work...[like] the armature in a
statue: an essential part of the finished structure. We do not judge a
statue by its armature, any more than we judge a beauty contest by the
X-rays of the competitors. But what the X-rays show is essential to beauty;
without the armature of the skeleton Miss America or Mr. Universe would
collapse to a heap of flab..."

--John Frederick Nims, _The Six-Cornered Snowflake_.