I picked up the new issue of Rain Taxi today, a small-press review magazine
here in U.S. There's an interview there, by John Olson, with Marjorie
Perloff. Along the way, Marjorie is asked her opinion on the slam poetry
phenomenon, and she remarks, paraphrasing David Antin, that poetry is, well,
like a pyramid, and all pyramids need a base, a bottom layer.

I thought this a fascinating trope, not so much, really, for the barely
veiled high-art condescension, but more becasue, if one thinks about it,
there is the fact that A) the pyramids of old were built by slaves, and B)
their purpose was to house the royal dead.

So I guess if you are a successful avant-gardist, you get to be a mummy.

Kent