Robin

in the usual way getting way off topic herein:.

>Mind you, how +do+ you untangle Kornbluth from Pohl? (And, for me [pace
>Kingsley Amis], K was better than P.)

I was thinking of the short stories, which are his own (& recently
collected in one volume, His Share of Glory).

>Isn't Bester more 70s than sixties?

The great short stories appeared from the 40s through to (a couple) the
early 70s; The Demolished Man (1953) & The Stars My Destination (Tifer,
Tiger!) (1956). He did return to SF in the late 70s I believe, but the
novels he wrote then simly didn't cut it with the early ones...

>And Sturgeon -- gimme Bradbury (help us) if you want to rot your teeth on
>saccharine.

Can't agree: Sturgeon is the better writer (read Delany on his style), &
although he could be a bit sentimental, he also took on topics Bradbury
would never touch; at his best, he was far more adult...

>Let's hear it for cyberpunk.

Ah well: yes, I love it & the best writing that has flowered by many of
those so identified since.... But I was merely pointing to the writers I
consider among the best of that earlier time (& Bester was a major
influence on the cyberpunks)...

Doug

Douglas Barbour
Department of English
University of Alberta
Edmonton Alberta Canada T6G 2E5
(h) [780] 436 3320      (b) [780] 492 0521
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/dbhome.htm

        I'm going to swim for my life
        to another shore.  The human shore's
        too much