Thanks for the Einstein/Tagore quote, Maria. For you and any other
interested parties, Michael McClure has an interesting book called
_Scratching the Beat Surface_, which I dip in and out of often. It is a
series of essays and memories about the Beats and about his engagement with
the animal nature of human beings, and concludes with a poem called _Hail
Thee Who Play_

He qoutes complete poems by Snyder, Olson, Whalen, Creeley, Kerouac, Crane,
Blackburn, and part of _Howl_ by Ginsberg. Much of his thesis is 'a
conception of the poem as a physical extension of the body', exploring a
'biological basis for poetry'. (Quotes from the jacket.)

My copy's a hardback from North Point Press, San Francisco, 1982. Well
worth investigating.

Andrew

PS: Aren't North Point Books well produced! I like the feel of them, and
their practicality - wellbound, easily read - gives you confidence in the
text as well. I think when you read books that you are afraid to open out
flat a little of that insecurity comes into your reading. Is it just me?

AB

Andrew Burke                 Copywriting
[log in to unmask]     Creative Writing
http://www.bam.com.au/andrew/    Editing