Maria, I have come across a 19th century poem call "Les Hirondelles" --
I've only glanced at it.  It doesn't include the line you quoted but it's
interesting in that the swallows have political significance, in so far
as I can discern with my wonky French.  I'll post it later or tomorrow
and see what someone with more knowledge of French poetry and 19th
century history can make of it.
Mairead