New and On View: Mudlark Poster No. 34 (2001)

Michael Hettich | The Moon Beneath The House

Contents

Rope | The Months We Lived Alone For Years
Attributes of Love | Espresso | Our Father
Certain Trees | Yearning To Be Beautiful
Light | When

Michael Hettich's book A SMALL BOAT was published by the University Press
of Florida (1990). His most recent chapbooks are SLEEPING WITH THE LIGHTS
ON from Pudding House Publications and MANY SIMPLE THINGS (1997) and
IMMACULATE BRIGHT ROOMS (1994) from March Street Press. He teaches English
and Creative Writing at Miami-Date Community College.

from The Moon Beneath The House

Our Father

wanted to taste the milk of every
species of mammal in North America
because he believed our human trace
started in milk, and because he loved

breasts. After that, he hoped to make
a journey collecting eggs, not only
bird but lizard, spider, insect
eggs as well, to taste them, moving

ever lower on the great chain until
he understood the diversity and subtle
textures of life on this continent with
knowledge he carried
on the tongue and in the blood.

He walked everywhere, and he slept outside
most nights. He believed that if he learned to focus
well enough he would eventually be able
to tell the size of a field with his eyes

shut, to be able to smell what mammals
lived in a forest and how many different
species of tree lived there too. He wanted
to fashion a language that incorporated barks

and purrings of all the wild creatures he encountered
so maybe a more nearly universal language
might be sung, at least in some
rudimentary form, and he tried to move

exactly like certain wild creatures, to make
only their sounds for days, to sleep
in the positions he'd observed them sleeping,
to hide the way they had, to vanish

the way they did. Eventually he'd learn to fly,
to breathe underwater, to live without thinking
as a human. And then he'd move on
to trees and flowers, on to wind and silence.

Spread the word. Far and wide...

William Slaughter

MUDLARK
An Electronic Journal of Poetry & Poetics
Never in and never out of print...
E-mail: [log in to unmask]