I am working on another program called Poetry on the
Peaks which will continue the UN's Dialogue Among
Civilizations Through Poetry program started this
year.  Poetry on the Peaks will happen next year and
will celebrate the UN's International Year of
Mountains. The goal of the program is to setup at
least 12-15 poetry readings on 12-15 mountaintops
around the world and corresponding readings in cities
nearby. The readings will happened throughout 2002.

So far, I have commitments from Mr. Gordon Janow with
Alpine Ascents International based in Seattle and Eric
Simonson with International Mountain Guides based in
Portland.  Together they will read poems on most of
the mountaintops listed below.  Also, Pulitzer Prize
winning poet and mountain-climber Gary Snyder may
climb the Alps next spring 2002 and read a poem on
behalf of this program.

The preliminary list of mountains are:
The Seven Summits (tallest mountains on each of the
seven continents)

1. Aconcagua, Argentina
2. Carstensz Pyramid, Irian Jaya, Indonesia
3. Denali, Alaska, USA
4. Mount Everest, Nepal
5. Mount Kilimanjaro, Tanzania, Africa
6. Vinson Massif, Antarctica
7. Elbrus, Russia

8. Mount Rainier, Washington, USA
9. Pico de Orizaba & Iztaccihuatl, Mexico
10. The Matterhorn, Switzerland or somewhere in the
Alps
11. Banaff Mountain, Canada
12. Mt. Fugi, Japan
13. Stone Mountain, Georgia, USA (mentioned in Martin
Luther King, Jr.'s "I Have a Dream" speech)
14. Mount Moriah, Jerusalem, Israel (Site of the
Temple Mount)
15. Drakensberg Mountains, South Africa

Someone from Janow's or Simonson's group will read a
poem on the first 10 mountains on the list.

We are working on setting up readings in corresponding
cities to work in conjunction with the reading on the
mountain. For example, we hope to have a reading at
Windybrow Centre for the Arts, Johannesburg, South
Africa for the reading in the Drakensberg Mountains. A
reading in Atlanta sponsored by Five Points magazine
for the reading on Stone Mountain and so on.

If you have any questions or liked to be involved,
please call me at 1-212-723-4125 or email me at
[log in to unmask] . Information about
Dialogue Among Civilizations Through Poetry can be
found at http://www.dialoguepoetry.org and information
about the UN's International Year of Mountains can be
found at http://www.mountains2002.org/

Thank You,
Ram Devineni
Program Coordinator