New from Junction Press!

Rochelle Owens, _Luca, Discourse on Life and Death_, 220 pages, US$20.00,
discounted to the list at $16.00, plus postage and handling. Surface
postage is $3.00 in the US and Canada, $4.00 elsewhere. I can accept
sterling, whether cheque or currency, only if received before June 27th.

This is one poem, broken into titled sections, but held together throughout
by cells of repeated lines that transform in meaning depending on context.
It's the internal monologue of Leonardo's models while sitting for the
master, primarily as he paints the Mona Lisa. But other characters come
in--notably Sigmund Freud--and the range of interests available in
c.1500-1530 includes the conquest of the Americas, which in itself reads as
a commentary on how we live now. Issues of gender, voyeurism, art, the
psychoanalysis of the dead, a lot of pratfalls and ascerbic wit. It's her
best and most-controlled work. Marjorie Perloff wrote the introduction.

To those interested I can email the front matter, including the
introduction, and a generous hunk of the beginning sections of the
poem--it's too long a file for the list.

Mark