Dear Alison,  I agree with you.  That's why I wrote my dissertation about
as.  But to privilege relationship is also to ratify categories.
All classification is rhetorical and obviously can be changed, inexorably
or otherwise.  The Aristotelian boxes have been useful, annoying as it
still is to encounter students who understand poems as boxes in which
meaning is cunningly concealed and from which it can be painstakingly
extracted.  The two models of the human body as understood by the Greeks:
the male body as hard and firmly bounded, and the female body as soggy and
osmotic, still model our ways of knowing in the West.  That second model is
increasingly useful, which is all that matters in rhetoric.
Mairead