Chris wrote:

>I've troubled over this. And the "almost" of my post reflects my continuing
>exploration of what that might mean. I believe that you're almost certainly
>right. But the implications are considerable. How should we then live? And
>that continues to be my torment. Does one choose or accept a vocation. In my
>naughty mechanistic terms I'd say it was genetic and I can't do anything
>about the matter, other than comply if I am to have a chance of an
>"authentic" life.

The idea of vocation is hard to talk about without sounding all mystical
and portentous, and that's not in the least accurate.  (Although, to be
honest, I found quite a lot that was illuminating in reading St John of
the Cross, especially when he talks about language.)  All I know is that
every major decision I've made in my life has been dictated by the
necessity of facilitating the writing of poetry, because when I've made
decisions that don't, I feel absolutely miserable.  It's never felt like
much of a choice to me.  Ionesco talks about a "mental necessity".  The
why has always escaped me.

I've sometimes thought of it as a kind of addiction.

How can you be wickedly mechanistic and yet talk about an "authentic"
life?

>What times is it over there, by the way. You must be up very early!

I _was_ up early - a small boy over-excited by the tooth fairy dragged me
untimely from my sleep.  I think there's about 12 hours difference.

Best

Alison