On Wed, 11 Apr 2001 10:54:38 +1000, [log in to unmask] wrote:

>Me, I always feel worried by prescriptive lists, especially concerning
>such delicate and multifarious organisms as poems: after all, I know of
>wonderful poems that break all these rules.  Neverthless, I confess a
>fascination with purgatives, simples, decoctions, plasters, spells and
>other things absorbed through the skin or taken by mouth etc for the
>efficacious treatments of distempers, catarrhs and wonky vapours...

The doctor's prescription (ovvero the notion of a  poetic canons)

Joking apart, the series of posts under the title " The doctor's
prescription", is merely suggested by me as a set of stimuli to reflect
upon the notion of poetical canons, which implies two different attitudes
which while clashing one against the other, co-exist, that of canonic
rhetorical rules and that of personal innovations and practices.

In the first one, we take it should be taken into consideration the so
called a parte obiecti, the point of view, the perspective of the work
itself as such, say its connotation within a given literary tradition
carrying with it all the rhetorical rules, the elements of tastes and
poetics, therefore Ovid, Virgil, Dante and so on).
Of course, as Matthew has suggested with his personal remarks,  any
statement regarding the existence of a set of rules, i.e., of a canon,
implies the birth of what we know to be an anti-canon ( often ideologically
enacted  by both a group  of poets: the Surrealists, for instance. Or  by a
single individual operating towards innovation).
The second perspective is the one that assumes as valid and legislative the
point of view and the tastes of the reader and of the audience in general.
So, it is less canonic and more fluctuating, less connected to the " a
parte subiecti" . This second point of view is more subjected to the
changes that occur to time and places within a goiven community, and
therefore reflects its needs more closely. One must note an "overdose " of
a given aesthetical rule that, however valid in the abstract and in the
realm of the " a parte subiecti"  , becomes obsolete (at least for a while)
in the real world of the readers.
Omero, Dante e Shakespeare became all of a sudden more popular than the
classic Orazio, Virgilio and  Petrarca.  For twenty years now, the second
perspective tends to be more popular and acclaimed because of the emphasis
on the readers' tastes and shared authority. The hierarchy of value are
established not by dictionary of rhetoric and stylistic but by t5ghe
audience interest in the published material available and in its shifting
extemporaneous moods. This is why fame is more in danger and obsolescence
always behind each poets ' door. The updating of the institutionalized
canons is a matter of fact in modern and contemporary poetry, given also
the accessibility of the products on the market.
Is this situation better than the one before, when the canons where more
rigid and secured by their crystallizations?
To put under investigation and discuss canons means that one  is allowed to
render problematic the institution of poetry at its very core. This
coincides, luckily, with the evident decline of the critique, unlike one
may think or fear, the doctor included.

Erminia