I also think of Virginia Woolf's long-shadowed temperature-lowering "I"
in A Room of One's Own and, by contrast, Toi Derricotte's or Ntozake Shange's
small dynamic "i" in Natural Birth and For Colored Girls, and so many
other examples.  While I sympathise with Erminia, to some extent, on "we"
as a placard or shield, I must admit that, having just been watching a
series of Civil Rights movies (Eyes on the Prize), "we" is essential.
Mairead