>Where does writing begin and reading end? Where does speech end and writing
>begin? Why is speech given a primacy from which is developed writing? The
>idea that speech comes first and is distinct from writing is an imperialist
>idea and buys into the very structures of racism in the history of Western
>thought and theories of language

Oral cultures do in fact predate literate cultures, though they often
have run parallel.  However, you can just watch a child - a child learns
to speak first and then learns how to write.  In every case I have seen
or heard of, anyway.  And that hardly seems to me a function of Western
Imperialism.

There is absolutely no privileging of literacy over orality in what I was
saying.  And I am the first to admit that these are complex questions.

>So people who are claimed to be illiterate are said to
>be lacking something, are lesser people, even if the claim is made that they
>can participate by using speech in laguage. This is still a discriminatory
>judgement, even if such a judgement is not intended as such. I have taught
>creative writing to so-called illiterate people... the very term illiterate
>is a misnomer laden with discriminatory judgements, I find.

Not necessarily.  Enzensberger has an interesting essay on illiteracy in
_Mediocrities and Delusions_ which proffers a very different view.