>or at Mandy Precious' recent piece for the Manchester Poetry Festival,
>which used both blank verse and rhyme.... not published of course, but it
>was a risk-taking and interesting piece of work

I'd love to know more about this, Liz.

Mandy is a poet and dramatist who spends most of her time working (for
minimal pay and with little support of course) with people with learning
disabilities and community theatre workshops.  Out of that experience she
has developed ways of using video......

The Commission for the Manchester Poetry Festival which has run for three
years now, allows a small budget to 'bring poetry to the stage'. 'The Big
Impossible', Mandy's piece, set the stage in a small open studio space with
two video screens and an actress centre stage.  The two screens played back
fragments from two children - childhood best friends one of whom dies.  The
woman centre stage voiced the perspective of the survivor.

It was a remarkable achievement and a complex piece - at times very
compelling to hear the three voices cutting across and amplifying one
another in strong brash northern tones.  Lots of very rhythmic writing,
rhyme, children's song and games, references to tv ads, pop songs and so on
woven through and supported with original music.  The woman attempting to
establish dialogue with the two imaginary girls, asking them to explain, to
comfort her.  Mostly the three voices simply ran parallel without
connecting, but there were some electrifying moments where a conversation
seemed to be about to take place.......

it was an impressive example of a poet with a really good understanding of
theatre, working strenuously with language as performance.  There are some
moves afoot to get it performed again, I hope they come off, because in the
two nights of performance I guess only around 300 got in (most of my
friends didnt get to see it - tickets were high currency)

I have the first ten pages of script, and have emailed Mandy to ask
permission to show it - if members of the list are interested in the chance
to see this work and get some better impression of it than I can give.

(I am very grateful that this topic has come up, since I am supposed to be
working on my own proposal for this year's commission at the moment and
this discussion has given me a jolt that I had better get on with it!)

Liz