Hello Ali,

At the risk of sounding ridiculously pedantic, I thought I should reply to
your mail on the origins of the word epic as you seem to have got some
misinformation.  Not particularly important for your project of course, nor
for how we're going to define epic as it's developed since,  but anyway,
here goes.

Firstly, the ep- in epic (Greek epos) and the ep- in the prefix epi- aren't
from related origins.  Epos started out meaning any sort of utterance
(story, counsel or whatever) and came to be used in the plural (epe) in the
meaning "epic" though not exclusively.  You're right that nothing in the
word itself implies length necessarily, though as you say, by its use as a
description of Homer (and the other, lost, epic poets) it became associated
with long poems.

As to a definition of epic, I think we're going to need something quite
broad if it's going to fit everything from oral epic as it's still practised
to Homer (writing the oral stuff down. I suppose writing was the new
information technology then) through to Omeros via Vergil, Dante and the
rest.
I'm afraid my brain isn't producing anything more meaningful than "A
generally big poem about people dealing with the serious shit of life."

Again, I didn't write this wanting to knit-pick, but thought some
well-intentioned pedantry might help you avoid some less well-intentioned
pedantry later on.

Cheers,
Graeme