All of what you say is true but self-publication has a long and valuable
tradition; it also allows you to move forward in your work; and make your
own audience.  I was advised against self-publication long ago when I was
young and frustrated.  It was bad advice.  I never had a lifestyle that
allowed me entry into the culture or society of poetry.  I am also
indebted to publishers who still eat and drink initiative.  Anyway, the
most important thing is (and others know a lot more about it than I do)
is that self-publication allows you to get the work out to a few at
least, and to move on.
Mairead