Alison

Thanks for letting me on Alice Notley. I like the idea of an epic set in
the subway a lot. And you're probably right as far as 'Nightmarkets' and
'Monkey's Mask' not being epics, but then again I can do a rites-of-passage
breakdown of each and show how these works closely resemble the old hero
quest. In Wearne's book, for example, the two brothers can be easily seen
as the 'ego' and 'shadow'; the 'call to adventure' which comes with the
boys being called to army; the 1975 dismisal can be read every bit as the
archetypal 'wasteland' which is the outset of most epics e.g. Dante's
forest, Homer's king-less Ithaca, etc. But then again I can do the same
thing with every novel, play, movie, TV commercial, pop song, etc. I can't
remember too much of Porter's 'Monkey's mask' but 'Akhenaton' is very much
like an epic, especially with its 'supernatural' elements and the last poem
which takes the edge off the tragedy and elevates the doomed hero into stars.

> if an epic is what demands to be written, then write it.
>Otherwise, I wouldn't bother.

Well, it's certainly what's demanded with my subjectmatter, but what I was
talking about, which probably didn't come across properly, was
investigating the possibilities for a new (actually very very old) kind of
poetry book; a cover-to-cover story in poetry which is not a collection of
ANY sort. Or is that too much of a commercial/critical risk for a publisher
to take?

Ali