Ah John, you had to go all the way to Ohio to catch the flu, & there in the
dry air get caught up in a certain shortness of temper. I'd say b-c
bickering is not on, & this list has always seemed to be a place where we
could say just about anything to one another, in the right spirit, anyway.
Hope you stop coughing soon...

As a bystander, mostly, in this interchange I wasn't offended...

then a student sent me an e-mail with her sigquote, which seems somehow
pertinent, the ideas of which I suspect we all attempt to live up to:

"I don't think writers are sacred, but words are.
They deserve respect. If you get the right ones
in the right order, you can nudge the world a
little..."
          --Tom Stoppard (The Real Thing)

Doug

Douglas Barbour
Department of English
University of Alberta
Edmonton Alberta Canada T6G 2E5
(h) [780] 436 3320      (b) [780] 492 0521
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/dbhome.htm

        I changed the lock on my front door
        I changed the number on my phone
        I changed the kind of car I drive
        I changed the kind of clothes I wear
        I changed the tracks underneath the train
        I changed the name of this town

                        Lucinda Williams