Quickly -

>Well that's quite true - the piece itself I think was a good hearted
>attempt to think around some of these issues - (it was Andrew Duncan, from
>Angel Exhaust and someone posted a long quotation earlier in the week)  AD
>was saying that these are issues that need to be addressed and his
>intention was 'on the side of women' - but I think he was so busy watching
>his nightclub singer he didn't watch what he was saying!

I essentially agree with you Liz about the good-heartedness (the joke was
that AD said that the separation of body and mind led to either
pornography or Christianity - and your sketch of prostitution led me - ah
well, doesn't matter -) and feel similarly ambivalent.  Perhaps
unintentionally he presses a certain discomfort harder, as a result.

> Is there any escape from the consuming male gaze
>which assumes that the body is offered up for its valuing alone?
>
>we could just ignore it!  (I know that's simplistic - but I am kind of
>tired of this double-bind, and really what else can we do but get on with
>what we want to make?)

That's kind of where I ended up, after circling around and around... but
every now and then I bump my nose on the same question(s) and realise
they haven't gone away.  Sometimes indeed they still have power to hurt
and distort...

certainly I have no intention of taking orders at 40.  Or of stopping
writing poems, though often I feel that decision has very little to with
me.

The central questions as far as poetry goes are, I agree, one's own
business, and about a practice.

Best

Alison