Can we take this somewhat tedious repetition of the same arguments back to first principles?

I really see no point in listening to the beats of two different drums.

I've got a longer (SLOW) version of my question, and a short one (VERY FAST), for those who care.

SLOW

JK originally wrote:

>i am not interested in the idea of australia. i am interested in bringing
>attention to tension and conflict behind the face of pleasantness - to
>highlight the injustices to indigenous peoples and the racisms and
>misogyny that prop up the Australian government, its bureaucracy, and
>those capitalist enterprises that support it. i wish to highlight the
>injustices to animals as well as humans, and to work towards halting the
>destruction of the environment. REHABILITATION, PREVENTION, and a
>linguistic disobedience.

To which Daniel replied:

>Very poetic, john, must i say that it reeks of nationalism...you're playing
>the same game, however, what you want to do is change the rules. But what
>you don't realize is that changing the rules will only leave you with a bad
>game. What needs to be done is to change the game and this you have not
>touched on. "not interested in the idea of australia"...sure you are.

I understand how you may see John's concepts of australia (the idea) and australia (the reality) as the same. Surely this is the same as assuming
that the physical nation and the machinery of the state are the same. But, if I am right, JK is eschewing the desire to define national
literatures (the "idea of australia") in order to focus on the actual hardships and problems (the "tension and conflict behind the face of
unpleasantness)
that exist behind such high faluting concepts.

Nobody will deny that you need understand the rules before you can understand how to break them - but where exactly does your philosophy fit in to all
 of this?

FAST

In short: WHAT IS THE POINT?

Excuse my interruption, but I think the point of this argument got lost somewhere in the mire.

Bob Johnson

Associated New Media
Part of the Daily Mail, Mail on Sunday, Evening Standard and Metro media
group.

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk
http://www.thisismoney.com
http://www.ukplus.co.uk
http://www.bigbluedog.com
http://www.femail.co.uk

This e-mail and any attached files are intended for the named addressee
only. It contains information which may be confidential and legally
privileged and also protected by copyright. Unless you are the named
addressee (or authorised to receive for the addressee) you may not copy or
use it, or disclose it to anyone else. If you received it in error please
notify the sender immediately and then delete it from your system. We make
every effort to keep our network free from viruses. However you do need to
check this e-mail and any attachments to it for viruses as we can take no
responsibility for any computer virus which may be transferred by way of
this e-mail.