Candice, I suppose i should have read your message before David's. Then I
wouldn't have assumed that "please introduce yourself" was a courteous
invitation in itself but was merely the punch-line of a serious chiding. I
do apologize if I have in anyway offended you and the other list members.
This was not my intention. And it was neither my intention to preach. I
am not a preacher. If you will notice, i did not include the sentence about
Christ in the response I posted to the board, because I felt it would have
been inappropriate. I sent that to John Kinsella personally and he
introduced it to the board. In any case, I do not recall making an effort
to convert anyone, as if i could convert anyone myself anyhow.

"There's a long tradition on Poetryetc of respecting each other's views in
>the sense of _accepting_ them and exercising a basic courtesy and
>sensitivity toward them regardless of our own beliefs (religious or
>political, e.g.). Your remarks about veganism, anarchism, and Christianity
>have all crossed that traditional line,"

So if I am a meat-eater and don't entirely agree with anarchism, I am
not "allowed" to ask about the reasons for being a vegan and an anarchist?
How will I ever learn to "accept" a belief if I don't ask for the reasons
of undertaking such a belief? Indeed I feel that I was being more courteous
in seeking a dialogue with John about his beliefs in the effort of trying
to understand where they come from than merely patronizing him with a
remark such as, "gee, that's nice that you're a vegan and an anarchist, i
sympathize (even though I haven't a clue why!)". No-body need be defensive
about his or her beliefs simply because someone challenges them. I am sure
John is mature enough to accept some interesting critisism, and to
distinguish patronism from meaningful engagement. If my beliefs offend you,
then so be it. I do not apologize for my beliefs but I do apologize the
voracity in which I stated them (if it was overwhelming for you). I will
remember your chiding in the future.

(traditional line?--i recall LINGUISTIC DISOBEDIENCE)

all the best,
Daniel