> From:    theoldmole <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Re: He leans out...
>
> Alison -- the omission of the poetry and songs (and of Tom Bombadil
> completely) is the most disappoointing thing in the movie. Even at the
> beginning, when they give the legend of the rings (the history of the
> rings -- Peter Jackson said he filmed it as history, not myth, and it was a
> good decision), they don't use the "three rings for the elven-lords" poem.

Greetings from Taiwan,

Alison, I saw the film before I took off for here (Taipei) over Xmas - and
basically it's very good. Have to agree that the omission of the Tom Bombadil
section is a problem - means that one of the few female characters in the book,
Goldberry, doesn't get a mention. Hugo Weaving as Elrond is weak (he overacts)
and I could be picky here and there (the mines of Moria sequence is too long and
a lot of the fight sequences and scary monster stuff doesn't advance the story)
but it's far, far better than, say, the Harry Potter movie. And the orcs are
truly vile. Jackson has made a movie not a facsimile of the book. He understands
the demands of narrative in a way that Chris Colombus doesn't or wasn't allowed
to by J.K. Rowling, so that he uses some material from The Two Towers
interwaqeved with The Fellowship .. . to help set the story in a broader context.

Hope you all had a good holiday. This is a fascinating city.

Bye for now,
Jill