I can't see how life means anything _without_ death.  And joy is impossible without admitting pain.  Which has always struck me as unfair, despite it being the generating fire of poetry.

The only other alternative is analgesics, which get rid of everything.  Why the line in Endgame - "There are no more painkillers" - is so devastating, and funny.

Knowledge of human finitude is the beginning of awareness.  Interesting watching it occur in my smallest son, who is now beginning to process that people (including him) die, which at the same time making that huge leap in consciousness which happens at about seven.

Best

Alison

Except for pain and death, life
is a poem

from your 'Mission Creep'  Frederick....... I'm wondering how you can separate pain and death/life and poetry.  It is a way of dividing experience into pairs that I find difficult to understand.

any thoughts?

Liz