The really great thing about having children is the unashamed return to those old pleasures - something got me at about 20, and I put away childish things (and, I suppose, starting seeing through a glass darkly) - and then Josh, my oldest son, read the LOTR, prompting me to revisit it.  I'm just finishing reading it out loud to Zoe, who's two years younger - I guess it's taken us the better part of six months.  Some marathon!

Best

Alison

it was a treasured book to me too - and I read it aloud to both of my children in turn with undiminished pleasure.  (Tomas used to hide it under his pillow, because if he didnt, when we stopped at night, I would take it and read ahead, which he considered unfair!)

The film is really lovely - thoughtful, subtle, very well edited and beautiful to look at.  Plus scary.  Without being gory or very explicit, which is a lesson to filmmakers all I think.  The menace of the Dark Riders was really well captured and all this in the opinion of all three of us.  We are all reading the book again - three copies in the house now (I managed to hold on to the battered old copy I first read.

I'm baffled too about why they didnt use Tolkien's own songs - too many words?

Liz