Yes, indeed, Dave -

but at the same time, it seems to me ever more crucial to remember
the many Americans who are now struggling to make their voices heard
and understood in the patriotic hysteria.  And also not to forget how
many ideas about freedom and justice have been nurtured in - why yes
- the US of A.  (In fact, those casualty figures were put together by
an American academic, who perhaps is facing funding cuts or
anathemetising as a "traitor" for doing so).  These voices of
conscience also are being crushed, and they are in the eye of the
storm -  and it behoves us not to participate in the crushing -

not that I think you are.

Off my soap box now and to more quotidian things, like wrapping
Christmas presents - do you know, my tree this year DID NOT FALL
DOWN.  In such small triumphs are the consolations.

Cheers

Alison