Aren't we talking about the imagination here, Erminia?

Or: well, I feel/think I cross those line when I read; as I 'identify' (I
know, I know, very non-theoretical, but it happens even as I also 'think'
theroy as I read) with characters who are 'different' from me but also
'like' me -- they are in some way 'human' -- & so I enter their points of
view, their subjectivities.

And if such imaginative identification occurs as I read, I would like to
think/feel/believe that some of that imaginative empathy etc works its way
into my life in the world, my relationships, etc.

Maybe...?

Doug

Douglas Barbour
Department of English
University of Alberta
Edmonton Alberta Canada T6G 2E5
(h) [780] 436 3320      (b) [780] 492 0521
http://www.ualberta.ca/~dbarbour/dbhome.htm

        I can always
        fertilization,
        kimonos, wrap-