Re: biographical poetry
Yes, this touches on my comment about Dorothy Porter and Akhenaten. I agree that biography can be (is?) a disguised form of autobiography. But the 'autobiographical' element that is inevitable can be extremely oblique. What kind of autobiographical issues are at work in Snodgrass's The Fuhrer Bunker? Clearly, whatever you think of the project, one doesn't want to be too literal-minded.
        Thanks for making me think of dialogue: that's a great point.

Cheers,

David

We could reflect upon an issue such as whether it is possible or not to
distinguish the self from its narratives: from a theoretical point of
view , I believe that the self should remove its primacy for the sake of
the epics of the "other", therefore becoming biographical of other people's
lives (as in Brecht). But I doubt that this is truly possible.
I tend to think that all poetry is indeed a disguised form of autobiography
to the expenses of the biographical interest on the other's life.
Intertexuality is a good mean to write biographical poetry, continuing
writing about one's self, but in a more understated fashion.
biographical poetry, also, serves the ethics of dialogue.
well, in a way, all poetical translations are a form of biographical poetry.

uhmm.
Erminia

--

Dr David McCooey