From: David McCooey
To: [log in to unmask]
Sent: Thursday, November 08, 2001 7:03 PM
Subject: Re: biographical poetry

Tom,

I'm intrigued, though I'm not entirely sure what your describing. It sounds like you're talking about people who are ill writing about their own experiences. I'm more interested in biographical rather than autobiographical poetry, if partly because autobiographical poetry has received so much attention over the years. But are you also saying you know of biographical poetry about people who become ill?
        I'd be interested to hear more of your experiences with poetry as therapy. Can you make any generalizations about your patients' writing compared with professional poets who have written about being ill (The Man with Night Sweats comes to mind)?

Cheers,

David

David,

   I've been intriguedby 'illness' poetry for some time, but didn't realize until now that this is a typr of biographical poetry.  As someone who works on both ends of the specturm, both as a poetry therapist with the 'ill' who write and as a poet and critic with writers who become or are 'ill' it seems to me that biographical poetry covers the same range.  I'm wondering where and how distinctions might be made.

tom bell

--

Dr David McCooey

ph:  61 3 5227 1331