From:           Alison Croggon
Date:           Wed 10/31/01 12:09
To:             [log in to unmask]
Subject:        Re: the new TEXT - epic

Yes - I enjoyed it too.  Totally coincidentally, I've been reading about
Christine de Pisan and other mediaeval women writers and mystics, and
reflecting on the strong utopian and fantastic element in much female
writing of the time - (Cites de Dames being one of them) - and also linking
that with the fantasies of fashion, which was the cause of so many
repressive sumptuary laws at the time, which were often subverted, eg when
I think Venetian authorities issued an edict which ordered all married
women to wear veils, it heralded the invention of the transparent silk
veil, which immeasurably enhanced a woman's sexual mystique, and also
decorative veils which hid a woman's identity, causing a little trouble for
those who sought to control their activities.  That is, that fantasies in
fashion as well as intellectual fantasies were a major means of subversion
for women in a society which had grown increasingly misogynist, and in
which people like Philiope of Novare said "Teach women neither letters nor
writing": so the collision of fantasy and fact seem fairly potent.

The other thing which strikes me about this is that the interiority you
note in the epic, the intrusion of the personal, must stem from the
tradition of female mystic writing (eg the Netherlands mystics which
influenced Meister Eckhardt, and Marguerite d'Oingt, Hildegard von Bingen,
Machtild of Magdeburgh etc), which introduced a whole new vocabulary for
mysticism which incorporated the body fully into mystical experience.

Best

Alison

Alison Croggon

Home page