Yeah, well, he gets like that--and besta luck to Chris on
administering that pharmaceutical coolant!

But I agree with you about a Neruda poem probably being a better
choice for this occasion, as he may be the closest thing to a
world poet we have right now. THAT Neruda poem would not be exactly
felicitous, though (at least not in Belitt's translation), because
of the pure whiteness bit (IMHO).

As for the rest--the field from which Hacker chose the poem and how
firm its selection is now--maybe Ram could fill us in on all that(?).

Candice