I heard last night that the poet Adrian Rawlins died last Wednesday.  His
funeral is today.  He had been ill for the past couple of years, battling
cancer.  I was told that on Wednesday he "just gave up", but I believe he
didn't die alone.

I am saddened by his death, and I am certain the many people who knew him
in Melbourne and Sydney will be too.  Adrian had the capacity to be one of
the most annoying people I have ever met, but he had some remarkable
qualities: he was a genuine enthusiast, a naif who devoted his life to art
wholeheartedly and without reserve; and he did so from a life in which he
endured both loneliness and poverty.  There was an admirable and rare
generosity in that.  Right up to his death was stubbornly attending
readings, plays and films.  He went to practically every event in Melbourne
over the past four decades, and had an encyclopaedic knowledge of the
culture from his involvement since the 1950s, which has of course died with
him.

He faced his illness with remarkable courage, and refused to be defeated by
it until the end.  I last saw him barely a month ago, and although at the
time I could see he was dying, he was as curious, as enthusiastic, as full
of life, as he had ever been.  Despite knowing of his illness, the news of
his death was a shock.

Adrian's philosophy was that life was about "sharing being".  There was
something larger than life about him, and the world is a smaller and more
colourless place without him.

Vale Adrian.  I hope the afterlife is everything you believed.

Alison

Alison Croggon

Home page
http://users.bigpond.com/acroggon/