The American people, in so far as am aware here in Mississippi, where I am
working mostly with people in their early twenties, are not angered so
much as shocked and grief-stricken.  I have heard no calls for revenge.
The thought of what happens next is a great worry for the young people I
know. For myself, I dread to think of children running around now who may
be wiped out, or starved, in an act of retaliation. Further slaughter and
destruction will double my grief.  The American people I know are not
thirsting for revenge and it is wrong to assume that they are.  Would that
the American people could voice their feelings and opinions now and that
their wishes could inform government policy.
Mairead