Thanks.

I finished the Karen Armstrong and her conclusion is that fundamentalism
wont go away and when it is pushed into a corner it can commit
desperate acts. The book covers 500 years up to 1999 (370 pages)
and I have always been struck by a quotation I clip from a play
'La Celestina' of `1499 by a converted Spanish Jew Fernando de Rojas
...There is no God; love is the supreme value, but when love dies,
the world is revealed as a wasteland....    Hence the book about
the craving for religion built into us.

I also read the Hafiz with his Sufi love of life, he is the poet of Iran,
and I will sign off by typing in a poem of his:

   The great religions are the ships,
   Poets the lifeboats.
   Every sane person I know has jumped overboard.
   That is good for business isn't it Hafiz?
;

Douglas Clark, Bath, England           mailto: [log in to unmask]
Lynx: Poetry from Bath  ..........  http://www.bath.ac.uk/~exxdgdc/lynx.html