I still have no news of my Italian friend a Professor of Literary Criticism
of the University of Siena who left Italy three days ago to stay in the
same apartment in low Manhattan were I have been in august and who has
taken there is 5 years old son to visit the City and its attractions. The
liens are busy and there is no answer.

My pain and sorrow for New Yorkers is immense and  unspeakable. When I
recently  visited the City in the last week of August, I though it was the
most friendly, charming and lively place I had ever seen, with great
dignity and humanity and I though that the media make injustice to it. I
was with Ram at the Tribeca Grill in the vicinity of the twin towers and
was pleasantly surprises of the way  this international center of business
had kept almost a provincial relaxed atmosphere, with people strolling in
the street, talking to each other, helping foreigners, talking to them,
even accompanying them on the very spot where they had to go, nothing like
that I ever experienced in all the country that I have visited.

I loved it and loved the American  people's sense of hospitality and warmth.
This is a tragedy of unprecedented proportion. My heart is in mourning for
all the victim.

Erminia