But the poetry community has been attacking this President since he got started.
_100 Days_ was its preeminent attack.

Poetry, now, operates in current history.  Unlike Blake, many current poets stand, it seems, with the enemies of the United States.

I await the moment with the writers in _100 Days_ declare their allegiance with Bin Lauden.  It would be an honest thing to do.

Here in Cork, Ireland, I happened to be watching a 24-hour news channel
when the reports started coming in, and watched disbelievingly the live
footage as the second tower was hit. I remember my reaction on seeing the
second and third car bombs go off in Dublin, in the early seventies, one of
them on a street I should have been walking down. I felt the same sense of
helplessness and disgust.

Frank's echoing of Blake displays a compassion which I expect many
individual poets will feel, but I know that I, for one, would not find it
possible to rally round any politicians or factions on either side of these
actions. Already, I despair on hearing a former diplomat concentrating on
how these attacks are 'cowardly' and an attack on all civilization and
democracy. While I don't see how a suicide bomber can be described as
'cowardly', neither do I see how either the cowardly or the courageous is
any guarantor of right.

Nobody appropriates my response, or can claim to speak for me at times like
this. I'm sick of the dishonesty that passes for diplomacy in our
democracies. Grief and compassion strike me as the only appropriate
response right now.

Trevor Joyce