I think there may be a culture glitch here. I know where Avebury is, but
the rest just whizzed past me.

Look Magazine was an American periodical with for many decades the second
largest weekly circulation in the US. Its format was almost identical to
Life, but with fewer pretensions. It died in the late 70s, if I remember
rightly. Sometime in the late 50s it ran several large spreads of very
hairy beatniks in rundown New York apartments. It's where I first became
aware of them. The coverage was supposed to portray them as something of a
national disgrace, but I was filled with longing. It's a while ago. I
suspect that there's  Brit publication with the same name.

Mark