Groan. I subscribe to NYRB--it's carpeted my bathroom for years. I read it
cover to cover because I find much of its content useful and informative.
But I despair of its treatment of poetry. Schnackenberg is, whatever her
qualities, the neoformalist flavor of the month.

The point I was making, for what it's worth, is that a very mainstream,
non-academic, for-the-common-reader newspaper reviewed, with highest
praise, Trevor's decidedly more adventurous poetry. The NYRB I think would
never go there. Unless, of course, the poetry was in translation,
preferably from a language spoken in some area of political interest.

NYRB has, after many years of ignoring him completely, taken on John
Ashbery as its sole excursion into American modernism, but he was
sanctified long ago.

But I'm willing to recant for the sake of peace.

Mark

At 09:05 PM 9/9/2001 +0100, you wrote:
>Gjertrud Schnackenberg (sp?) got a big and rightful boost
>from the NYRB recently. Bloodaxe have just published a big
>book of hers here which I must try and get hold of. (I
>think as well as Selected it contains her latest book).
>I was most impressed with her when I came across her
>about fifteen years ago.
>

>Douglas Clark, Bath, England           mailto: [log in to unmask]
>Lynx: Poetry from Bath  ..........  http://www.bath.ac.uk/~exxdgdc/lynx.html
>
>On Sun, 9 Sep 2001, Mark Weiss wrote:
>
>> My point was about the very public recognition of a book of "difficult"
>> poetry.
>>
>> Rain Taxi is not, alas, the big, uncloistered world, any more than are
>> academic journals. The NYTimes, whatever its lingo, notices almost no
>> poetry. The NY Review of Books has Helen Vendler's taste.
>>
>> But things are probably worse in Australia.
>>
>> Mark

>> >     I find this an amazing statement and don't think it's true at all.
What