At  7:27 pm 21/8/01 +0100, Matthew Francis wrote:
>What you say about academics stating the obvious and getting the credit has
>a lot of truth in it.

Oh really. There I was thinking it was a generalisation offered with little
evident concern for proof. Like this:

>university seminars these days tend to be about things like supermarkets and
>tattooing rather than _Lear_, which is regrettable.

But perhaps I'm stating the obvious. How academic of me. Three cheers for
Barthes, who also renovated the definition of the word _doxa_ which springs
suddenly and horrifically to mind.

Malcolm

Flat 59 room 2
Albany Park
St Andrews
KY16 8BP
Scotland
(00 44) + 1334 427862 (internal university number 7862)