>I've only ever read the
>first page of MD and just couldn't get past it. Ought I or is life too
>short? (Seriously.)

Jill, it's one of the best reads you're likely to encounter.  It knocked
me out for its formal inventiveness and audacity (at one point you
suddenly find yourself in the middle of a play, there's a whole chapter
on the colour white, and so on) and its shimmering levels of meaning.
And it's also a wonderful adventure story.

But how could you resist an opening line like Call Me Ishmael?  I mean,
really... (and I'm most certainly not American).

Best

Alison