Thanks, Matthew. I was misremembering re: Graham. Here's an excerpt from an
interview he did with John Haffenden (a very faded faxed copy of which sits
in my sadly incomplete Collected Poems) which I'm sure you know but anyway
for the list:

Haffenden: Do you still have a high regard for the poems you wrote much
earlier in life?
Graham: One has to watch not to take it as a natural thing that the poems
should get better and better through one's career. They change. Of course
I'm tempted to say I liek my later poems more than earlier ones, but I
couldn't add a page to my early books. They have a quality which is no
longer in me: one is no longer made of the same stuff, one can't put out
the same cloth. I wouldn't like it to be easily accepted that those are
boyish balloons and effervescence. No, I get a certain kick out of early
poems that I don't get out of later work. Speaking about my father, for
example. In a _kind_ of way maybe I get less worse, but it's not just like
that. Certain things occurred in the early poems which couldn't occur now,
and make not just a random shape out of ignorance but something else.

Flat 59 room 2
Albany Park
St Andrews
KY16 8BP
Scotland
(00 44) + 1334 427862 (internal university number 7862)