I agree entirely with Ken's critique of sloppy 'postmodernisms' that fail to
cite references; jump, uncritically, on science bandwagons; and use
'disruption' as just another grand narrative to make truth claims and assert
cultural capital through power/knowledge relations.

Yet, it could be argued that those who suggest that 'postmodernists' simply
want to argue that there is no truth and have done with it, are making
similar intellectual leaps.

> If all things are relative, and everything is a matter of
> interpretation, then there is no basis for claiming that one regime
> is just, another unjust.

I have the suspicion that the so-called postmodernists themselves have been
as poorly understood as their own scientific referents The classic,
oft-repeated, argument against 'postmodern' writing uses the issue of Nazism
as the bottom line: if postmodernism is right, then how can we say Nazism is
wrong? One of the more interesting books I've read in this territory is
Simon Critchley's The Ethics of Deconstruction (1992, Oxford: Blackwell). In
reading Derrida through the writings of Emmanuel Levinas Critchley appears
to argue that the assertion that there is no one truth is simply the first
step, that Derrida never suggests that postmodernity is all about
relativism.  What is at issue is the inexorable need for humans to make
decisions in the light of a nonexistent 'right' decision. To take a stand,
to make an ethical decision, we have to be alive to difference and
multiplicity.

It brings to mind Ken's arguing that there are facts  ‹ we breathe, the sun
shines, etc. OK. But aren't the really interesting bits the ways in which
those facts are articulated, embodied, propelled through human societies?
I suppose this fits in with Ken's citing of Weick in that we have to move
beyond the simplistically disruptive - whether that's disrupting the notion
of stable truths or disrupting the notion of multiple truths.

And. yet, as I think Ken is suggesting, there is real potential value in
critiquing writers who question the practice and validity of
science/rationalism and then go on to mobilise positivist scientific models
to make truth claims about the fallacy of truth. Indeed, some 'postmodern'
writers are as guilty of not taking on board the political contexts of those
scientific models as the scientists whom they critique ‹ surely there are
just as many political implications in the mobilisation of string theory in
the fictional writings of Jeanette Winterson as there are in the 'actual'
practices of quantum mechanics?

Mike Pearson and Michael Shanks have some interesting things to say about
such politics, in the context of the practices of archaeologists (2000.
Theatre/Archaeology. Routledge). They talk about describing an ecology of
practice. It's not that politics (whether the grand-scale of left and right,
or the small-scale of interpersonal team dynamics) pollute the practice. The
everyday of those individuals involved is as central to the research as the
'objects' under study. There are much wider landscapes that need to be
mapped (to borrow, *uncritically*, from a geographic model) in order to
create a more nuanced understanding what it is that we do.

Apologies if somewhat rambling - this was relaxing break from mountainous
post-holiday correspondence.
Angela

A A Piccini
PARIP
Department of Drama: Theatre, Film, Television
University of Bristol
Cantocks Close
Woodland Road
Bristol BS8 1UP