[log in to unmask] writes:
>Generalizable theory can grow from specific cases, but the process is
>an emergent process based on multiple cases.

Sorry if I wasn't clear in my previous posting.

In saying that "The principle of grounded heory allows for generalizable theory
to grow from situation-specific theory" I was taking for granted that this was
through the accumulation of many specific cases"

Also, as Ken points out, going back to basics, as in investigating the
properties of clay in the firing process, is a risky business but that is the
nature of research.

However, in the individual case I mentioned, the researcher who pulled back
from basic research  was not making a choice in isolation. Like all of us he
has to consider questions of funding and his own career. Also, by choosing to
concentrate on codifying the tacit knowledge of craftsmen and designers he was
taking an alternative route to the discovery of what these materials do - he
was creating useful tools for today and a basis for refining understanding in
the future and this was where I saw the parallel with grounded theory.

best wishes from Sheffield
Chris Rust

Chris Rust
Reader in Design