In a message dated 7/20/2001 10:31:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

One of the reasons why in design we neglect the distinctions between
pure, applied and clinical research might is perhaps the vagueness of
the applied variety.   I have no problem with "pure research," or its
more descriptive equivalent "fundamental research." I can also
understand how "clinical research" differs from "fundamental research,"
namely that it probes particular instances or cases. But I am at a loss
how , in the case of "applied research," to apply "findings" (of what?)
not to clinical research but a (any?) "class" thereof.

I think that applied research in design is research where the findings of the
research are applied to the process of designing something. This type of
Research is what I get involved in. For example researching a groups color
preferences and then applying the color to the object which is sold to that
group.

Rob Curedale
Industrial Design Manager
Haworth Inc.